Contractors can guarantee labor productivity on their projects by leading their project teams to focus relentlessly on ensuring that these 6 Pillars of Productivity are supporting each task.
- Information: This is the starting point; information so clear it CAN NOT be misunderstood.
- Labor / Subs: Not putting the right amount of labor resources on the task - either too many or too few will impact productivity. Adjust your plan as needed.
- Materials: Can’t do anything without the right materials staged close to where they will be installed. Don’t start the task unless you have firm verification that 100% of the approved materials are available.
- Equipment & Tools: The right equipment and tools in good working order all fueled or charged as required. Are these really the best tools for accomplishing this task?
- Work Area Ready: All required prerequisite work or layout by others is complete. Area is clean, well lit and environmentally protected if required.
- Goals: Never send a crew out to work without goals that are clear, achievable and a bit of a stretch.
Given clear information and goals pillars 2-5 are a means to an end.