You must relentlessly prioritize how you allocate resources and get the whole team aligned around the biggest bottleneck in the business.
10 improvement projects 10% complete = 0 value-add to the business.
To identify where the biggest bottleneck or opportunity is in a contractor we start with the simple model looking at 6 basic parts. From there we unpack this to a more detailed model that has 5 parts and many details in each:
- Customers - It all starts here; who do you serve and where?
- Talent - Without competent and aligned talent you can’t serve those customers.
- Business Operating Layer - Plans, meetings and feedback systems that keep the overall business moving forward.
- Primary Value Stream - Everything you do to turn a prospect into an opportunity into a project then deliver that project to the customer.
- Support Services - Every functional area in your business that supports the primary value stream.
If you looked at this model where are your biggest bottlenecks? What are you doing to eliminate them?