Some thought processes and habits that accelerate learning are:
- Build a mental model of what you want to achieve. For example in construction we build things. Start developing a 5-Dimensional model of a project.
- Expand your mental models to include different levels of the value stream.
- Assume your models are inaccurate and fuzzy. Your daily goal is to make them clearer by adding and testing more details.
- Only you know which parts of the model are fuzzy. Be disciplined and tenacious in seeking out answers to fill your model. Don’t wait for or expect someone else to come along and help you out.
- Refine your skills at asking great questions. You will find that you end up answering a lot of your questions just in the process of learning to ask them correctly.
- Be disciplined in how you approach this on a DAILY basis.
- Evaluate your progress daily.
- Deliberately practice what you learn.
- Work with an experienced coach because you can’t always see what you don’t know.