A huge part of leadership development is having mentors and being a mentor to others. Sustainable growth for a contractor starts with leaders who effectively recruit, develop and retain other leaders who do the same.
I’ve had many great mentors throughout my career and look forward to having many more. One of those is Steve Romero who has been a mentor and friend to many and when I reflect back there are so many things that he reinforced:
- Hard work never killed anyone and if you are working with a good team it is a lot of fun.
- Setting and hitting production goals daily makes the day fly by - even if a “day” is 36 hours long! :)
- Hit all critical schedule dates - no excuses!
- Lead by example being visible and accessible.
- Always be there for your team and friends - commitment works in both directions.
- There is always a better way to do something - find it!
Steve’s mantra could be summed up on the book title: The Hard Thing About Hard Things.
Steve was living Extreme Ownership long before the book was written.
Steve - thanks for being an awesome mentor and friend - David, Justin and many others.