Patty McCord has been on the front-lines of a war for talent that really kicked off for technology companies in 1998 but didn’t make it to the construction vocabulary until around 2016.
- Quit focusing on “Employee Empowerment” and start removing roadblocks (real or perceived) that take power away from employees.
- Forget about nice sounding values. Get down to the visibly demonstrated behaviors that will make your business successful. Write them down and continue to refine for clarity of thought and communication. At Netflix these were refined over a decade in a continuously updated “Culture Deck”.
- The behavior of identifying problems is plentiful and cheap. Focus on those who have a bias towards action, can prioritize and execute
- Be a business person first and understand how your specific set of skills fits into the whole business adding value to your customers.
- Fix Your Company's Culture
- Netflix's 'Powerful' Corporate Culture Of Freedom And Responsibility: Author Patty McCord