It’s the end of week 3 since the Bay Area was the first to issue shelter-in-place orders on Monday, March 16th. A few days later, on March 19th, California followed as a state, and by the end of that weekend another 5+ states followed.
- As we sit today, 80% of the US population is under some sort of similar order.
- NY, PA, and WA, along with some counties have heavily restricted construction. See ENR's State-by-State Coronavirus Construction Status Updates.
- On the other hand, the state of California is allowing construction but not overruling the Bay Area’s stricter orders and Austin had all projects re-open.
- The SBA rolled out their Paycheck Protection Program as part of the CARES Act, which has the potential to help many contractors.
- Most of the information coming out is unclear, and some is even conflicting. The choices made must be rapid but are often the choice between which option is “Less Bad” overall. This requires calm and deliberate action and great communication on the part of leaders.
- Prepare yourself that this volatility will be the “norm” for up to 12 weeks, where each hour will bring a new challenge. A Prepared Mind, Body, and Home Creates a Strong Foundation.
- At the same time, focus on preparing for what the next few years will look like and position your company to win.