Leaders must learn from the best coaches on how to truly develop aligned teams and leverage each person effectively.
The management teams of leading contractors know that they cannot mitigate the massive talent shortage at the management and craft level by using the same tools and thinking that made them successful previously.
When the talent supply is reasonably then the management tools of accountability and compensation (base + performance) produced amazing results.
- Define clear results expected in job descriptions
- Develop a written processes
- Hold people accountable for results and following processes
- Provide incentive compensation to reward results
- Provide consequences for those failing to achieve results or follow the processes
Seems like a simple 5 step plan and these are all very effective tools that must be mastered by managers at all levels.
They will however produce NEGATIVE results if the required competencies and team alignment are missing.