Look at this in two major stages:
- Simply learning to see the problems using tools like tracking weekly Percent Planned Complete (PPC) and daily Production Tracking.
- Learning how to troubleshoot the problems using techniques like 5 Why and then test improvements ultimately resulting in new standards.
- What Happened? Branch raceway production has been 30% lower than planned
- Why? Framing installation fragmented.
- Why did we start? Had to meet the project schedule.
- Why couldn’t we delay our start? Key customer and they sent threat of backcharge.
- Why couldn’t we compress our install window? Not enough manpower.
- Why didn’t we use prefab to compress install? Did not plan project thoroughly.
- Why? Project started with 5 days notice.
- Why didn’t we make the time to plan; even if on the weekend or overtime? Project team does not truly see the value in planning or prefab.
- Why? Zero time invested in training or coaching around project planning.
- Why? Leadership team is focusing nearly 100% of their time opening new branch office.
- Why? It is an opportunity to grow revenue and profits while diversifying the company for the next economic downturn.
What are the “WHY’s” behind your production misses last week?
What is your improvement plan?